Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Too many sistahs, not enough MISTAHS.


It's been a minute yea?

Since I last posted, the group took a mini excursion to Cadiz. We started out by visiting a Bodega (wine cellar) that's very famous for its vino fino. We had a short tour around the cellar and then found ourselves cozied up in a room with chips, peanuts, crackers and FREE WINE! Hahaha. We sampled 5 varieties; the first was rather dry and they increased in sweetness with each sample. The last glass tasted like rotten caramel and the only good thing I had to say about the wine in general was that it was free.99, and that ain't bad. 

Afterwards, we drove to the beach. I was very unprepared for this... and for those of you who know me you can imagine how mortified I was to find out that we were going to spend THREE HOURS ON THE BEACH. *Gasp* We found a spot on the sand and ate our bocadillos (sandwiches) that our moms packed for us. None of us brought towels to lay on, so I decided to split open the plastic grocery bag the my lunch was packed in and lay it down as a make-shift barrier. Needless to say it was a ridiculous effort and I still got sand in all sorts of places which only confirms the reason why I've never been a fan of the beach. The girls had a good time soaking up the sun, but I spent most of my time huddled under my fleece. The cheapest hideaway ever :) 

We bought some tasty ice cream and then walked around town for a stretch. Cadiz is famous for it's annual carnival, which was going to go down the next day. It's like crazy halloween costumes plus mardi gras debauchery plus masquerade ball... ish? I had the opportunity to go back for the party the next night, but I opted out. Good thing too, because apparently some crazy stuff went down! One of the nicest guys on the trip was assaulted by a spanish man in a chicken suit with a glass bottle... his arm was badly cut and he lost a lot of blood before he got to the hospital, at which point the doctor told him that the cut was so bad he was lucky not to have lost movement in his fingers. He's a trooper though, and we're all glad that it wasn't worse. 
 
I finally told my house mom and sister about the "no oil anywhere near any of my food" rule. It was stressing me out for the weeks, and it just got so bad yesterday that I broke down and confessed. HUGE sigh of relief.  Now we just have to do something about the whole tomatoes they try to make me eat. 

I'm really not sure how I'm feeling about this Spanish life in general right now. Mom, I'm sure you've heard enough of it already... but it's just not going the way I thought it would. First of all... I'm finally figuring out that I'm not a people person. At all. Getting to know people is exhausting when under obligation, and having to take in so many different personalities without putting enough of my own out is just exhausting. I inevitably feel compelled to please people and compromise, but I just don't want to any more. Is that a bad thing? Maybe. This is the test I signed up to take... so we'll see how I fare as the time passes. 

This weekend a group of 6 girls and I are going to Portugal! We leave Friday morning around 730 am and we're coming back Sunday night. I'm not really sure what the weather will be like, but I'm really excited to go away for the weekend. Stay tuned for further details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sevilla, AndalucĂ­a, Spain
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.