Sunday, February 15, 2009

Show me some of that Spanish dancing


Oh, Granada. 

Yes, it's true, the city is beautiful... but it nearly killed me. 

On the way to Granada, we stopped off at this little sight called Tercal. It was basically like the City of Rocks outside of Deming, so I wasn't all too amazed or excited. Kepa, one of our program directors led us on a hike which was miserable for me because 1) the climbing and slippery mud rocked my knee and 2) I DON'T DO THE OUTDOORS. Although I complained the entire time, I suppose it was funny and we were all glad to get back on the bus. 

At the hotel, I got to room with Kate and Haley again, so that was a nice surprise. We had some free time so we went into el centro and tried to spend some money, except all the stores were the same kind of Moroccan-style market. We ate delicious ice cream and started to walk back to the hotel, at which time we all thought about writing a suicide note because it was like a 20 walk straight up a mountain. I was so winded and sore and sweaty -- it was quite the show! Haley and I were laughing so hard at our pitiful situation that I had to stop several times from hysteria and silliness. Memories. Love it. 

We had dinner in the hotel, which was real nice because it was $free.99. After dinner, we went for a night tour of the city to see the panoramic views, and then we went to a Flamenco show. Before that night I had never seen Flamenco dancers... but it was amazing. The guitar, the clapping, the dancers' dresses and the way they move. I was watching their feet the entire time and it was mind-boggling how fast they could. Think tap-dancing, in high heels. Then add some pure sex and that's Flamenco! At the end of the show there was a male dancer who came out, and although he was as chachy as can be, he was gorgeous and he smelled so... manly? Clean? It just doesn't matter... all the girls were lusting and he ate it up with a spoon. 

After the show, a few friends and I went out to an Irish bar. Good drinks, great music and a generally enjoyable time. 

The next morning we went to the Alhambra, the old Moorish castle in Granada before the Catholic kings conquered the city. I actually like the Real Alcazar in Sevilla better, but the "red fortress" was no less impressive. It spreads over acres and acres of land - like it's its own miniature city. There were tons of gardens, fountains, pools, tiled walls and carved ceilings. It was really interesting to see the difference between Arabic architecture and Christian design -- how they still remained distinct but have blended so much over time that the history just kind of slips your mind. We took about a 3 hour tour of the grounds, and everyone was exhausted afterwards. 

We had doner kebaps for lunch which were amazing and then we took a taxi back up to the hotel in efforts to evade imminent death by hill-climbing. 

Second week of classes start tomorrow, still waiting to really gauge the situation, so I'll keep you posted. 

It's already starting to heat up here, this week is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 60s. I hope you all are staying warm at home... by and by spring will come!

UN BESO 

1 comment:

  1. ahh! i saw an amazing flamenco show in Granada! The dancers even yelled at my teacher because he was trying to video tape it. hehe

    You should look at my Spain pictures sometime...I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of them since you're experiencing it all right now. miss you!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Sevilla, Andalucía, Spain
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.