Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Always where I need to be





















So... it's been a few days, and I've been testing the water. 

Or maybe the water has been testing me? It's been verrrrrry rainy this past while. Thank God Santa brought me a new umbrella for Christmas :) Although I hate going out in the rain, I have to say that I don't much mind walking around Sevilla. It really might be the most beautiful place I've ever been in. The light, the smells, the sounds... everything is so... the way it's supposed to be. I see people running all the time; this city is a runner's dream. Parks, wide shady sidewalks, bridges all at your disposal. I wish my knee wasn't in that sad shape it is, although I'm not a runner per-say, I would get down. 

This week we've had a few mini excursions around the city. Yesterday we checked out the Cathedral. It's the third largest in the world, THE largest by area alone. Christopher Columbus has two tombs on the grounds... another three are spread across Europe because apparently he was a big deal. The Cathedral used to be a mosque when the Arabs ruled Sevilla, but when the Christians took over they converted everything to a Cathedral. La Giralda - the bell tower - used to be a minaret. We climbed all the way up the 8,369 ramps (guesstimate) to get to the top for a panoramic view. BEAUTIFUL.

I evaded my first Gypsy in the courtyard- she tried to give me rosemary but I was like NO WAY LADY, then you'll take my first born too. 

I finally figured out how to not lock myself in the bathroom. Apparently. 

Today we went to the Real Alcazar -- the royal palace in Sevilla. It used to be a Moorish fort, but again, the Christian kings converted it. There were beautiful tiles allllll over, amazing ceilings, columns dating back to the roman era. We walked through the gardens and the labyrinth. It was soooo Goblet of fire-esque and I loved every minute of it. Plus, our guide was awesome so all in all it was super fly. 

Julio got back from Granada today :)

A few things that are bothering me:
1. WHY IS THERE NEVER A TRASH BIN IN THE BATHROOM? 
2. My entire family here never eats... sure, they might have soup or bread now and again... but I have yet to sit down and eat a complete meal with them. Am I eating too much or are they just immune to the necessity of sustenance?
3. There is a door on the shower about a foot wide. The rest is open to the cold air. My room maintains an average of 65 degrees... aka freezing and all I want is a long hot shower.
4. Everybody apparently feels it necessary to trounce about town in groups of 5 or more at all times. This makes it more than obvious that we are American and retarded. 
5. The toilet in my bathroom runs sometime, so it doesn't exactly flush all the time. ???

Check out the pics!



1 comment:

  1. during my time in spain, i never figured out how to even USE the shower at my family stay, so showers consisted of running bath water and me splashing around trying to get clean.

    i feel your pain.

    also, i have been to these places too! i'm so excited and extremely jealous of you. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Sevilla, Andalucía, Spain
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.