Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Operation extremely regretful is in full effect

So... the bull fight. Definitely having mixed emotions.

I really regretted not going to see a fight when I studied in Santander, so I decided that I would go and check it out this time around. Sevilla is pretty big potatoes when it comes to the corridas (bullfights), and my program had pre-purchased tickets for everyone, so I figured the odds were with me and I was going to hang with my fellow Sevillanos and enjoy the festivities.

FIRST OFF ALL - It must have been like 95 degrees, the sun beating down with its rays of death. My friend Leslie and I made the 25 minute walk by foot from our neighborhood... I was wearing a tank top and a pair of dark washed jeans, but I was sweating BALLS. Our seats were really close to the ring itself, but right in the sun, with no hope of even the slightest covering. I sat on my program because the benches were of rough stone, but by the time I got up the paper was just wet from me sweating like the lady I am all over it. Ha.

When the whole ordeal started, the president of the bull fighting organization or what have you rode out on horseback with the head veterinarian. They were dressed in traditional outfits - thick and flouncy black suits, with tights, stark white collars and feathered hats. The made their rounds about the ring, then horses who were outfitted with similar trimmings came out. I noticed that they were in groups of 4 and strapped together, with a chain dragging behind them... and I didn't think anything of it at first.

The trumpets sounded and about 12 matadors came out into the center of the ring. They had wonderfully classic profiles, and their outfits were so beautiful. MAN OH MAN were they some fine MEN! Too bad they're actually douchebags who like to gain up on innocent animals and stab them with swords while they taunt them with a cape.



The matadors got into position and the bull was released into the ring. One single matador came out and began to lure him with the cape. This went on for a few minutes, and the bull got pretty mad and was ramming into the ring walls pretty furiously with his horns, but it was kind of uneventful at first. THEN - the matador got too close to the bull and he just scooped him up with his horns and literally bounced him up and down like a ping pong for a good 5 or 6 rotations, then threw him on the ground and rammed into him, ripping his uniform and breaking the skin.



The matador ran out of the ring and the others came out to distract the bull while a man on horseback came out with a steel-tipped lance. The matadors lured the bull over to the man and he stabbed him reallllll deep right behind the base of his neck. The bull struggled and it was terribly sad.

The matadors fought with the cape and gave the bull the run around for another 2 or 3 minutes before the second lance came. By that time there was blood evvvvvvvverywhere, every time the bull trounced or stomped on the ground it would gush out of his back. The matadors kept wearing the bull out, until he was foaming at the mouth.



Then two men ran out on foot and threw blades deep into the bull's back so that they stuck and continued to cut deeper each time the bull advanced at the matadors.

After about 5 more minutes, the bull couldn't keep up. He was stumbling and literally fell to his knees as he tried to charge the matadors. I was really upset. I mean I knew what I was getting into, but I didn't know it would be that gruesome or depressing. This D-bag Spaniard was sitting next to me yelling like he was watching a football game or something... and all I could think to myself was like "settle down you idiot - the bull is going to day one way or the other so stop being such a jerk!" I just don't understand what's entertaining about torturing an animal.

The bull finally got so tired that they decided to stab him with the big sword through the chest and call it a match. He yelped and shook, then writhed on the ground. One of the matadors went over and wiggled the blades that were in the bull's back to really make sure he was dead. Then the horses came out and they hooked the bull to the chain and dragged him out of the stadium. Everyone cheered. I cried and left immediately, wondering if God would judge me for watching.



Guess you'll have to experience it for yourself to know if it's worth it to go. My vote is nay.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Yeah, I saw a show about bull fights. As a kid, I didn't know they were so gruesome. For some reason, I thought they just messed around with a bull and got it really pissed off, and whoever went the longest without getting trampled won. But after I saw that show I realized it really is an awful "sport." I don't really understand how people get enjoyment out of it. It kinda makes me sad to even think about it. I think the matadors should fight each other with bulls just running wild in the ring to make things interesting. That would be a WAY better bull fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awful. i think i would have cried too. :(

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Sevilla, AndalucĂ­a, Spain
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.