Thursday, May 21, 2009

Every stranger's face I see reminds me that I long to be homeward bound

Well, last week. In Spain, that is. 

I just hate finals man... doesn't matter where I am, or how easy the classes are... I just hate the idea of everything hanging on one test, you know? I lied to two of my teachers and said that I was going to the airport on Thursday, just so I could take those exams earlier, and meet my friend Pete at the airport. Needless to say, the weekend was filled with studying, junk food, procrastinating as much as possible... and general mullygrubs. 

Monday - Flamenco. THANK GOD THAT CLASS IS OVER WITH. I hate it, hated it, always will hate it. But, I owned on the essays... Paco gave us 4 essay questions, told us that he would pick 2 and then we would only have to respond to 1. I prepared for all of them and ended up writing out both questions... trying to win him over at the end? Who knows. It's over. 

Semantics was alot better this time around... I breezed through the final in about 25 minutes and only doubted about 3 of the answers I put. My professor was a little surprised that I finished so early, but I thought... That's why they pay me the big bucks lady. 

Grammar was a joke - our professor told us that all of this material was going to be on the final, but nothing really was... except for nonsensical things that we've been learning since sophomore year in high school. And my arab lit class was just an in-class personal response. That's it? That's it I say. 

Tuesday night Liz and I went to the goodbye dinner for API - Big Mama made us croquetas and pasta salad to take, because it was a potluck. Many more people had showed up than what I thought would, which was nice. Big Mama ended up coming and she was pretty funny... we walked through town to get to the metro together and she was just a reminiscing about how long it had been in that part of town. Then she proceeded to open up to us a lot... she told Liz that she liked having her in the house, because she always eats the food without contest, whereas I just lie about what foods I like and don't... but it was ok, because I am better at Spanish than Liz. Those were pretty much her exact words and it was pretty hilarious... oh Big Mama. While we were waiting for the metro, we taught her a list of words in English to learn before her trip to NYC in June. She couldn't pronounce anything and it was really funny. 

When we got home we decided to make S'mores for the family. It was so funny, because when we got into the kitchen it was about 11, and Big Mama told us that we could make them if we wanted... but then when we brought her one she just screamed "OH NO! I can't eat that... it's so late, and I'll get fat!" We made her eat it though...



and then we made one for Juls and Ana too. THEY LOVED THEM!!! Big Mama thought the chocolate was just the best thing ever... so rich and smooth, really fantastic... and I was just thinking to myself - you're insane! It's Hershey's Milk Chocolate - like, the Five O'Clock of chocolate... but oh well. To each his own. And she loved loved loved the graham crackers too. Everyone was licking their fingers by the end of the night. 

The next few days just consisted of getting all my thoughts and things around to leave. Pete arrived safe and sound on Thursday afternoon, so I picked him up from the airport and took him to his hostel. We went out to eat too, but he was basically in a coma and could barely keep his eyes open, so that night ended pretty quickly and I had lots of time to pack. Friday and Saturday consisted of showing him all the touristy and historical things around the city - so we went back the the Cathedral, the Alcazar, Parque de Maria Luisa, Plaza de Espana, so on and so forth.





He didn't really like anything though - it was really hot, and he was still tired... plus he can't speak or understand a single word of Spanish, so it was just like an extended layover. 

Liz left Friday night, and it was real sad. I made sure to be out of the house before she left for the bus station... because I'm real bad at goodbyes. never really had a huge buddy buddy relationship throughout the semester... but right at the end I felt very close to her and lucky that she was around. After my terrible start to Feria, I was so happy to have her home, and I really think she helped me out of that slump. So Liz, if you're reading this - thanks for being a wonderful roommate, for making me laugh, and for keeping me level headed through the Juls-lust and the Big Mama madness. 

My last night at home, I made a big tortilla all by myself for dinner and to use for bocadillos the next day. It was de-lish. Maybe a little salty, but that's coming from someone who hates anything salty. 

Big Mama left Saturday night to watch her granddaughter overnight, so she said goodbye early and it wasn't awkward, but very sweet. She told me to remember that when I was in Spain, this would always be my home. She got a little teary-eyed, but I resisted and just gave her a huge bear hug and thanked her for all that she had done for me over the past 4 months.



The next morning, Ana cried a little and gave me a huge hug and kiss, Juls just said goodbye and we had an awkward moment... like when you go in for the hug, and one person pulls away, but the other just keeps tapping them on the back. Hahaha, I'm not sure who was doing which, but I'm sure that I lingered too long. Oh well... can't help it we share that kind of love, now can I?

Sunday I met Pete and we made it to the airport with time to spare... 

SPAIN: GOODBYE
FOGGY LONDON TOWN: LOOK OUT, HERE I COME!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. oh baby baby!!!...sevilla!...for you...

    "la Lola se va alos puertos"...!?...

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Sevilla, Andalucía, Spain
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.