Monday, March 30, 2009

Bittersweet and strange, finding you can change

This weekend was API's trip to Barcelona... I had mixed emotions on the way there, but the weekend turned out to be wonderful!

The format of the trip was a little different. First off, because Barcelona is located in the far north east of Spain, we flew. Usually we bus it up, but that would have taken literally an entire day to get there. Secondly, API usually has everything planned out for us. There is usually a mountain of activities and sites to see on the itinerary, and everything is spelled out for us... but this time they kind of just got us there and cut the tether. Up side : we had lots of time to do whatever we wanted. Downside: I didn't have much time to research the city and plan my weekend, and I didn't realize how HUGE Barcelona was before I got there. Naturally, I didn't get to do all that I wanted. Also... the only meal that was included was breakfast at the hotel, so we had to spend a lot of money on eats. 

When we got to Barcelona on Friday afternoon, we took a sightseeing tour of the city on a bus... which was nice, because everyone was quite tired and didn't feel like navigating through the city. Our guide was kind of a douche... he scolded us for being rude and then took forever telling us a bunch of information that we couldn't even hear because his mic wasn't loud enough. We hit up a panoramic view point near the pier, which was beautiful. The entire city is filled with mosaics, even the sidewalks... the lookout point walkways were made of inverted beer bottles and caps, arranged in swirls and spirals. Realllllllly cool. 



Afterwards, we went downtown to see the Gaudi Cathedral. Antonio Gaudi, for those of you who don't know, is a perhaps the most famous Spanish architect ever. His work is considered modernism, but it feels like it's from another time or place. His lines are so round and expressive... his style is truly one of a kind and it makes you feel like you're walking through a fantasy land or a game of Candy Land. The Cathedral is a really interesting work, because only half of it was completed by Gaudi... he began one side of the facade and then died before he got to the second. Another artist took up the project and the finished products couldn't be on more opposite sides of the spectrum. The weather was super strange, so I couldn't get any good pictures, but don't be afraid to look it up online. 

Next, we went to Park Guell, another Gaudi work. I really had no idea what that place was, or what purpose it served, but it was beautiful. It was like an estate of alllllll Gaudi allllll the time. All the building facades were dropping with Gaudi style - every surface was done in tile mosaic and the colors were absolutely brilliant. So saturated... so inviting and rich. BONUS! I stumbled upon this archway/tunnel thing that looked mighty familiar - and after I stared at it for a while, I realized it was the runway that America's Next Top Model used for the final Ghost Bride runway show when they went to Barcelona. I was sooooo excited! My friend Mackenna and I ditched the group for a few to stay behind and fight for a picture; we couldn't possibly get everyone to clear out, but we took some fun shots!





When the tour was over, we were exhausted. My friends and I went back to the hotel and took a fabulous nap... the hotel was four star and the rooms were huge. The beds had down comforters and adjustable mattresses. The bathroom was huge - the shower was oversized, with a full curtain and amazingly hot water. Loved it. Later that nightwe took the metro downtown to meet some of Haley's friends who are studying this semester in Barcelona. We went to this restaurant called La Rosa Negra - it was a hopping little mexican joint. We are all so in love with Mexican food at home, and none of us have had any since we got to Spain, so we were allllllll over that place. I had delicious guacamole (not quite as good as Scott's :) ) and chips, a carne asada burrito and like 3 coca-lights. We sat around the table and just talked for like 2 hours afterwards. Then we just went home. I was really pleased with the day and the food... and it felt really good to sleep. 

The next morning we went down to what was probably the best breakfast I have had in my entire life. Or maybe it just seemed like it because all I've had for the past two  months is toast and tea. Omelets made to order. Perfectly ripe honeydew and pineapple. Fresh glazed donuts. CEREAL!!!!!!!!!!! All sorts of juices... cold cuts and smoked salmon... preserves... rolls... LOVE. I ate until I literally couldn't, and then I stole food to eat later. 

We took the metro to the Palace of Music... again, I had no idea what the place was, but I'm so glad I got to see it. It's an opera house/concert hall that's been around for 100 years. It's covered in ornate carvings, columns and mosaics. The most famous feature is the stained glass dome in the main concert hall... it was breathtaking. We had the opportunity to sit in the balcony and watch a rehearsal for a few minutes, and the noise coming from the stage sounded so pure. the acoustics were just wonderful and only enhanced the beauty of the hall. It's considered to be private property, so we weren't allowed to take pictures... but I did sneak one. 



I wondered around the city for a while afterwards. We went to the chocolate museum for a while. I didn't really pay much attention to the history of it all, because I knew a lot of it from LA studies, but I did love the displays! They had wonderful models of all subject matters made out of chocolate: Bambi, a bull and a matador in the ring, Gaudi's Lizard, etc. Our ticket was a free chocolate bar which we got to eat while walking through the exhibits, so I couldn't complain :)

After strolling around the gothic barrio for a while, we met a friend for lunch... at Pizza Hut. Hahaha. Go ahead and laugh - but I had no problem getting some simple food that I knew would please. I ordered a chicken caesar salad which was probably made by God himself, and then split a little pizza with some friends. Our waiter was really friendly and flirty and ended up giving us all free ice cream and then tried to get us to go out for drinks with him later that night. It was nice to have a pleasant conversation with a stranger for once. Made me smile for hours. 

Later that night three friends and I took the metro to the Plaza de Espana to see the light show they hold every weekend. The fountain is in front of this amazing building and the water was just shooting everywhere in the craziest, most fun and intriguing patterns everywhere. I don't know how they got the colors to be so bright or so brilliant, but in combination with the music the whole show really made my heart race. I took so many beautiful pictures, and if you look at the pictures I posted on the photobucket site, there should also be a small video clip of the show.... 


We ate dinner at a little dive that played fabulous 80's music throughout the entire meal. We were having so much fun getting geeked up for the show. We had tickets to see Beauty and the Beast (the broadway musical) at 10:00. When we sat down in the theatre, I must admit I was feeling leery about the show being in Spanish, but by the time the first song was over I was so giddy I couldn't even sit still. The set design and costumes were AMAZING - so efficient and expressive of the story-line and character development.

The woman who played Belle sounded exactly like the original Belle, only she spoke in Spanish. Lumier was just as hilarious as he was in the movie, and spoke with the best French accent I've ever heard in Spanish. Hahaha. In the movie, he flirts with the duster- house made, but she had a much more prevalent part in the stage version. I loved her character. She was so sassy and funny. Her costume was a skin-tight mermaid style dress with feathers lining the bottom - faded from black to light grey to look like a feather duster. He butt was padded to make he extra voluptuous, and whenever she spoke she shook he hips and booty allllllll over. It made me laugh - out loud - and by intermission my cheeks were throbbing from the perma-grin. Some of the words to the songs were different, obviously you can't translate those perfectly, but my favorite part was in the very first song "Little Town." Usually the townsmen say "Bonjour, Good Day, How is your family?" but in Spanish they sang "Bonjour, Que tal?...." Maybe you have to be a spanish speaker to find that funny, but my friend Leslie and I couldn't stop laughing. By the end of the show I felt like I was on top of the world, and I must confess that I've been listening to the soundtrack on my ipod for the past two days straight. 

That night I took a super long shower and went into another coma in my super comfy bed. The next morning we had another amazing breakfast and then set out to see some sites last minute before we left. Nothing too exciting... by the time the bus left for the airport at 5, we were ready to go home. I had a wonderful time... a really unexpected and wonderful time. 

Wednesday morning I leave for Armageddon (the spring break to end all spring breaks). I've spent all evening making packing and to do lists... I hope I can get it together tomorrow and feel ready by Wednesday. Regardless, I'm so excited to be going on this trip. And... to be getting away from Sevilla for a few days. The girl I'm traveling with is my closest friend on the trip, so I really think this break will be aaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaazingly fun and memorable. 

One last thing: I'm sporting lots of Spartan Pride for my boys in the final four! I wish them all the luck in the world and will be routing for them across the pond! GO GREEN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sevilla, AndalucĂ­a, Spain
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are.